I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Day 39 - Pause

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

I went to school today. First I emailed the custodial staff and administrators like we're supposed to. I thought I would cry on my way there, I thought I'd cry on the way home. Instead, it was just... surreal.

A friend told me it would be like things were frozen in time. It was. It was like someone hit the "pause" button the weekend after March 13. However... someone also must've been in a time warp and cleaned everything. I think the room actually looked neater than how I left it.

I filled up a box with my school laptop (I'm privileged to have my own at home - it's been taking a beating, so I thought I'd use the school-issued one), the cardstock I bought (I'm making plans to make post cards... later post if I actually go through with it), Sharpies, a couple of portable white boards and markers, and lots of books I own but have never read.


I wondered for a bit about the students' binders in the room. How will the - or will they?? - get them back? Would they even want them? Do I save them and give them to their next year's ELA teachers? Does it matter??

Then I went home and agonized over our plans for the week. I also crossed things off my list, added new things to my list, contacted some students, and waited for contact from students. Even though it's not "my day to teach," I did make contact with two students. Of course, that contact was the highlight of my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!