I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Day 32 - The New Normal

In my tiny corner of the world, "The New Normal" means:
  • You can't expect anything.
  • No matter your routine, it's not routine.
  • Distractions are welcomed.
  • I wake, not sure what day it is.
  • Tears come quickly and unexpectedly.
  • I'm constantly surprised at all of this.
  • I get drained mentally quicker than normal.
  • I'm still getting dressed each day - I don't own sweatpants, I love jeans, and I'm saving the PJs for if I get sick.
  • My hair gets in my face.
  • The small things don't really matter.
  • I'm taking about ten minutes out of every day. Just out. Just sitting.
  • Masks are worn at the grocery store. All kinds. I made this type (with rubber bands instead of hair ties) on Sunday, 4/5/20.
  • I loathe grocery shopping once again. The new normal has us shopping at times other than our Saturday morning (old) routine. It's just difficult for me to see people and not be able to read their expressions. It's really no biggie. I just hate it.
  • Schools and churches and banks and...sooo many businesses have signs of encouragement.
  • Parking lots are vacant.
  • I call my parents every day.
  • More people are spending time outside.
  • People are spending lots of time with their immediate family.
  • News reports arguing over keeping people at home or opening businesses again. More arguments over who should be helped with federal funds.
  • Healthcare workers are NOT spending time with their families.
  • Healthcare workers are working their butts off to save ours.

Scenes from the new normal:


Chicagoland traffic at 7am this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!