I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Monday, April 6, 2020

Day 24 - Not for Me to Judge

Monday, April 6, 2020

We've been told to not judge the kids on the work they're doing (or not doing) during remote learning for now. I get it, and I respect it. If I had to do school work now, I'd probably be really snarky about it. YET... my brain still judges when I see a student write one sentence, and it doesn't even make sense.

Humans judge. My job today is for me to check the fact that I am judging, and then move on. If a student has provided one sentence, I'll comment, "Nice start!" and then move on.

I've got a friend who I tried to FaceTime with two weeks ago, and yet she answered it on her watch, so it wasn't FaceTime. She was also doing other stuff, so our conversation was pretty much one-sided. At the time, I was very put out and thought, "I guess I'll know my true friends when this is all done." Today, I came at it with a new perspective. It was at the start of all this, and she was keeping busy. Maybe keeping busy is the way she protected herself. Maybe it was something she needed to do at the time. Now that I've written it down, I have to let it go. If it happens again, I'll ask her to call me when she's got time to devote to a conversation.

Walgreens shared this in my email, and I immediately judged them for "taking advantage of the situation," then I thought... there will be plenty of people who didn't know what to do about their weddings, and this could help them:



Same goes for this sponsor in my Instagram feed:

And I really shouldn't judge the workers who closed off our parks like this... They've never done this before, either.

What a fabulous reminder about grace from Aric Foster in his latest blog post.

And another one from my Instagram feed:

When I get down in the dumps from all this, I get upset with myself for being down. I've got the BEST situation here. It's just the two of us, my parents are healthy and I can sit in their yard to talk with them, I'm still getting paid, we've got food and toilet paper (a couple left!)... What's my problem? I judge myself all the time too. A close friend reminded me that it's okay to feel this way. I'm still in this situation with everyone else, and I can't compare myself to others. Just like we say about social media getting to us - we are all in this together - even if we're in very different situations.

When I cry (over nothing sometimes), I'll learn to not judge myself. I'll let it out, blow my nose, find something funny, and move on.

From TikTok today... to the "Yup / Nope" soundtrack... (gabbiedaddie???)



----------

And then I saw this work from a student... Since it is Monday and we wanted some semblance of routine, we asked them to write different types of sentences. She rocked it. I responded that she made me frown and smile at the same time if that's even possible. (And I also suggested she could always READ...) 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!