I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Days 28, 29, & 30 - Easter

Time to create / document
unprecedented times
catastrophe

Friday through Sunday, April 10-12, 2020

The Boston Marathon is postponed until September.
A museum is selling items from the postponed Kentucky Derby.
Our favorite taco place put up a shield and is workers are now wearing gloves.
This article was interesting - about when Chicago schools closed in 1927.

Our "lunch group" met Wednesday night (virtually, of course - do I have to keep saying this?), and one teacher wondered what would happen if this was still going on in the fall? We'd definitely need professional development over how to have an online class. It could NOT be this "remote / emergency learning" we're doing now. Mom says the economy can't handle it, and we'll be back at school. I wonder if some teachers will say they're done teaching after this.

I took Bob to a park in Schaumburg so he could see the daffodils that we can't see at the arboretum. We also spotted two swans (and a visiting turtle) and a giant blue heron!




I made cards and baskets for my sister's family and for my parents. I went a little overboard.

A very sweet friend of mine dropped of a thoughtful "sanitized" basket to our house. I enjoyed playing with the bubbles right away, but I saved the rest of the basket for Easter morning. One thing I'm learning is that I enjoy looking forward to things. I'm content waiting.

This - to me - was not even funny. But since I'm not judging these days, I'll add it here (in case someone does find it funny).

"Church" on channel 7 was awkward to watch.

Since Mom and Dad couldn't figure out how to let Zoom access their video or audio, we used (a new tool for me) Google Duo. It was fun for a bit, then we ran out of things to share... nothing's been going on in our lives except what we've seen on bike rides or walks. I did hear that my niece and nephew (who are in 8th grade) are doing about 5 hours of school work each day. (?!?!) AND - we did all kind of dress up a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!