I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Days 22 & 23 - Pictures

Saturday and Sunday, April 4 & 5

So many pictures have struck me this week...
https://cw39.com/news/list-states-that-have-closed-all-schools-due-to-coronavirus/

https://twitter.com/A_AMilne/status/1245643473446821888

https://twitter.com/CoriOrlando1/status/1246088811030798339
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ingRGBDKs/

I received some fun news. A book on "ungrading" I contributed to is in the Fall 2020 catalog of West Virginia University:
https://wvupressonline.com/node/844

The students I follow on Instagram (most are in late high school or college now - I guess Instagram isn't as popular with middle schoolers anymore) are inspirational and funny, too.

From one of my former students I got to see in "A Chorus Line"

I've learned how to make Instagram "stories," and have been trying to share a positive message in the morning every school day. This message came from one of my former students. 💕
Grocery shopping was so difficult for me this weekend. I'll bet 70% of the people I saw were wearing masks. So not only do they avoid you (as we should), now they don't even smile your way, and sometimes I can't even tell if their eyes see me. I am NOT good with this. It hit me hard and I struggled through Saturday morning in the worst way.

I turned to distractions. A couple of hours on a dumb game on my phone (which ran out of advertisements I was on it so much!!), and a bit of TikTok. TikTok made me laugh my butt off. So I wanted to share some joy from it here...

This man shared a poem about the infectious nature of a smile.

I then got off my butt and worked out one more time with "PE with Joe." As he says, "exercise makes you happy." It worked well. And when we got out for our walk, the sun peeked out from the clouds.

Sunday plans - get outside (of course!), put leaves in the street for pick up Monday, stay off social media (except for maybe some fun TikTok), watch more Power of Positivity videos, and find a book that holds my attention for more than five minutes!

Please stay at home, take care of your family, and find some joy today to share with others. ✌️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!