I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Day 40 - A Slice of Student Life

I started this post a year or more ago... I'm coming back to it because right now my students have the following issues...

  • One child's dad is overseas and they can't always Zoom or Skype or... and he is dearly missed.
  • One child's mother has the coronavirus right now.
  • One child's grandfather died last week.
  • One child is living with Grandma, and we don't know what that living situation is like.
  • One child is living with grandparents because their mother works at a hospital.
  • One child is stuck in another state because they left for spring break and haven't yet been able to come back.

Add those issues to some issues my middle school students I've known throughout the years have had...
  • One child has been hospitalized for being dangerous to themselves.
  • One child is not sure about their gender.
  • One child's sibling took their own life.
  • One child found out they were autistic.
  • One child who shares that they are autistic doesn't receive support in social skills.
  • One child's parents went through a nasty divorce.
  • One child's parents need to give most of their attention to the younger sibling for various reasons.
  • One child, his mother, and his sibling... moved farther away from their father this school year.
  • One child spends five or more hours a night playing video games.
  • One child spends three hours a night at swim practice.
  • One child has a mom who doesn't believe the teachers.
  • One child does not get along with his new step-dad.
  • One child will be moving in a month.
  • One child found her birth mother passed away when she went to visit.
  • One child has an older sibling who tries different drugs when there is unstructured time.
And how do I respond when one child hasn't done ANY work for my class? How many emails do I send? How much do I "pester" that child and/or the parents? What is my duty? What is "too much" or "too little?" Which parents are home with their children and which are not? How can I find the right way when there is no feedback from the child or the parents? I am not cut out for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!